We have two core driving ambitions at Mantis Digital.
One is to be the best digital agency in New Zealand.
The other is to make it an abnormally good digital agency to work in.
We figure if you’re going to spend the lion’s share of your waking life at work we owe it to you to make it time well spent! We think and work really hard on how to make spending your time at Mantis Digital a truly enriching and fulfilling experience and you can read about how we realise that ambition below.
Thanks for your interest and we look forward to hearing from you!
Garth and Justin, co-founders
We offer genuine work/life balance.
Lots of people talk about work/life balance but we put our money where our mouths are.
Flexible hours and remote working
We’re flexible about where and when you work and our philosophy is based on mutual respect – we respect you to get your work done and you do so in return – no micro management, no baby-sitting, just respect.
We started our careers in crazy agencies that ran on stress and pressure and vowed to not repeat that cycle when we started our own. We put systems and proper planning in place to ensure that our work is well scheduled and everything is under control. This is an all-nighter free zone!
Interesting and varied work for great clients
We love our clients and they love us! We do really interesting and challenging work for a great range of clients from FMCG’s businesses to NGO’s and other such acronyms.
The jobs are perky.
Industry beating pay
We only hire the very best talent and we’re proud to pay above industry rates accordingly.
The usual caffeine and coding clichés apply. We have an account with our favourite local cafe Red Rabbit so that you can get fired up as required.
We have regular staff lunches where we go out and eat all the tasty things.
Knowledge is power
We have a well stocked library that employees are free to borrow from with books ranging from the latest in web design standards to marketing, psychology, the odd graphic novel and of course obligatory complete Calvin and Hobbes compendium.
Generous referral programme
No matter what your role is, if you bring a client into the business you will be rewarded generously.
You'll be in (a) great company.
We think long and hard before bringing someone into the company as we prioritise building a team that not only works well together but also enjoy each other’s company. We’re proud to have brought an eclectic bunch of people together who get on really well, complement each other and build off each other’s strengths.
The spaces you inhabit make a big difference to your enjoyment of life and your workspace is no exception. We enjoy working in the beautiful heritage Textile Centre building in Parnell – high ceilings, exposed brickwork, high quality finishings.
The best equipment
We spare no expense when it comes to the tools you use – we all work on top of the line Macs and we buy any software needed, no questions asked.
Coming up together
We’re happy to nurture our employees to follow the career path and work they’re interested in and support their professional development accordingly.
Focus and process
We ensure that everyone has a very clear job description with clear responsibilities and accountabilities. Everyone knows what they’re meant to do and we defend their ability to do it by being focussed and process driven as a company.
We’re very much a checklist oriented company as they reduce slip ups and the stress that follows them!
Some of the brands you’ll work with.
Full stack WordPress Developer
We are looking for a highly motivated front and backend WordPress developer to build and maintain our websites. Your role in our business will be to collaboratively realise our designers’ visions in code as well as generally assisting the team with the upkeep of our existing websites.
To be considered for this role, you need to have an excellent understanding of WordPress and a strong command of the core web programming languages, demonstrated over at least three years’ work experience.
- Proven competency with:
- Adobe Creative Suite (working with design files rather than designing them)
- Solid understanding of responsive design and dev principles, including frameworks like Bootstrap etc
- Understanding the technical implications of SEO and Accessibility
- Experience with cross browser compatibility
- Performance optimisation experience
- Pedantic pixel perfect attention to detail
- Interest in UI/UX
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Superb problem-solving skills and adaptability
- Bonus skills:
- Email deliverability and diagnosis
- Server management/administration
Our ideal candidate is:
- able to think on their feet
- able to communicate development challenges in a straightforward manner
- able to rapidly offer solutions to issues encountered
- able to perform under pressure
Your day-to-day activities will include:
- Building site structure – generally via page builder but also via template or markup files
- Front end development (visual styling)- must be able to deliver pixel perfect sites and deal with unpredictable content responsively
- Conceiving creative solutions to general web development issues – both in PHP and JS/JQ
- Optimisation of site performance – ensuring Google PageSpeed scores are high and sites respond effectively
- Maintenance and updates of WordPress and our favoured suite of plugins, and debugging/ensuring quality after performing these updates
- Critical thinking around our development practices – we’re always looking to improve
- Working with our favoured suite of plugins – installing, configuring and extending them
- Advising on DNS and email deliverability issues – designating DNS records to clients or setting them yourself
- Performing core backend development – templating and WordPress Hook-and-filter related work for certain tasks
- Using cPanel to set up sites
- Scoping and quoting of full builds as well as as smaller compartmentalised projects/tasks
- Research into new technologies to add requested functionality to our clients’ sites
Why work with us?
- We work from an inspiring heritage workspace in the vibrant Textile District in Parnell
- We’re a caring, fun and dedicated team
- We do varied and interesting work for great clients
- You’ll have autonomy and job ownership
- We offer flexible hours and remote working to cater to a healthy work life balance and extra curricular activities
- You can work from our Tauranga office every now and again in summer!
- You can partake in an ongoing fiery internal debate as to the merits (or lack thereof) of Craft Beer
Please note: your application will not be considered if you do not have the right to work in New Zealand and your written and spoken English is not impeccable.